By Seth Schmidt
With a little help from his friends, Lyle Noomen was a perfect three-for-three in efforts to save three historic stone markers during the demolition of the Masonic Temple.
Two of the Kasota stone markers were plucked from high up on the building’s east wall.
The largest—four feet wide and likely weighing several hundred pounds—shows a winged sun disk. The sun disk, which has a long association with Masonic buildings, symbolizes the perfected soul making its way back to the source of its creation.
A second large stone saved from the east wall, shows the Masonic symbols of a square and compass.
The square calls on mankind to measure their actions against the perfections of Masonry, while the compass is a reminder for men to keep their actions within the limits of Masonry and possibility. Four smaller square stones flanking the compass & square were saved as well.
The lodge’s 1926 cornerstone, at street level on the building’s southeast corner, was retrieved intact as well. To the disappointment of some, no time capsule was found with the cornerstone.
For more on this article, see this week’s Headlight-Herald.