Leonard crowned Miss Tracy 2020; Kunkel 1st runner-up, Christian 2nd runner-up
By Per Peterson
Cora Leonard originally had no intention of trying out for Miss Tracy. It’s a good thing she was talked into it.
Leonard was crowned Miss Tracy 2020 at Sunday evening’s Miss Tracy Scholarship Program and by now has probably thanked everyone who convinced her to be part of the event.
“I had a lot of people talking me into doing this,” an emotional Leonard said after Sunday’s program. “I was not going to do it. I was just way too scared. I was like, ‘I don’t think I can go up there in front of all those people.’”
The Miss Tracy first runner-up was Jordan Kunkel, and second runner-up went to Brooke Christian.
Leonard said the weekend was a stressful one for her and her fellow contestants.
“Right before the show started I was like, ‘Oh my gosh, this is actually happening,’ but once I got on stage for the opening number it just flowed, and it went really fast. We are such a close group of girls and we all supported each other.”
Leonard called this summer a “crazy” one, what with all the rehearsing and practicing.
“I was super nervous for the first two months,” she said. “But at practices, everyone just lifts you up and they’re so good to you and make you feel so confident. It was a really good summer.”
Awards/scholarships given out Sunday include:
• Miss Photogenic: Hannah Wichmann
• Scholastic Achievement and Community Involvement (sponsored by Prairie Lakes Family Dentistry, Tracy Kiwanis and the Tracy Area Education Association): Leonard
• Panel Evaluation (sponsored by Minnwest Bank and Tracy Eagles Club): Leonard
• Creative Arts Presentation (sponsored by the Fine Arts Council of Tracy): Leonard
• Fitness (sponsored by Sanford Tracy Medical Center and Tracy Ace Home Center/Fitness Depot): Kunkel
• The Lori Bangasser Memorial Scholarship (sponsored and chosen by past directors): Wichmann
•Presence and Composure (sponsored by Northwest Lighting Systems, Knakmuhs Real Estate & Tracy Agency and LaVoy’s Repair): Kunkel
• Spirit Award – voted on by the candidates (sponsored by Tracy Food Pride, Subway of Tracy and Summit Massage): Leonard
• Each contestant was also awarded $300 alumni scholarships.
Last year’s Miss Tracy, Cassidy Smith, was joined by first runner-up Kallie Benson, and second runner-up Kristin Bohn, on stage one last time for a humorous skit about preparing to perform for their return to the Miss Tracy stage. And, as usual, a number of past Miss Tracy contestants were on hand to address the audience.
This year’s emcees were Tracy Area Chamber of Commerce Director Lexi Erickson and Tracy Area High School teacher and head varsity football coach Jason Kainz.
MISS TRACY PHOTOS – Turn to page 2 for more images from Sunday’s program.